Monday, July 26, 2010

Chatspeak - Its Impact on Students

The world of texting has developed its own language. Chatspeak allows students to shorten words, spell them inaccurately, and create a whole new lingo. Even though I have fallen prey to this new “language” as I’m an avid texter, I feel that chatspeak has really damaged students’ ability to write properly at times. As an English major, I understand the need to switch back to using technical English, but many of my friends and students I have worked with do not have the same understanding: “When it comes to students and their use of chatspeak, it will be more difficult for many to switch gears to effective and meaningful writing” (Chatspeak, 2). As I have become aware of this issue I strongly believe that “Chatspeak is destroying students’ command of written English…” (Chatspeak, 1).

During school, it is our duty as teachers to educate our students and make them understand the necessity to be able to command the English language both in the oral and written manner. These skills are necessary for these students to acquire because they will need them when they enter the business world. If their minds are warped to this new form of chatspeak, they will not be able to effectively communicate later in life: “The shortcuts and acronyms that make instant messaging, text messaging, and online chatting so popular have no place in academic, business, and other formal writing settings where it is essential that all individuals involved are using language that is clear and concise” (Chatspeak, 2). Reading through this article has made me wonder how I will be able to combat this issue in my own classroom. I understand that chatspeak is the language of the generation and students need this opportunity to connect with others, but I want to impart upon them the need to also get in touch with the English language in its most proper form. I also wonder why others do not believe that the chatspeak revolution does not affect young minds and their development in language acquisition.

3 comments:

  1. While your post is well thought out and well written, I would have to disagree with your stance on chatspeak. I see this type of communication simply an informal way of speaking. We all do this, for years it has been in the form of slang. Today's slang is done with a cell phone. Just as we have been able to switch between slang and more formal speaking, today's students will be able to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,

    I'm glad that you, as a Language Arts teacher, are a fan of the English language :)

    With Chatspeak, I'm worried that students aren't taking advantage of opportunities to learn and practice spelling, punctuation, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that we just need to make it clear to students that chatspeak is not accepted in the real world, (in a job setting). They can use it informally, but not formally. They are usually able to adapt.

    ReplyDelete