Monday, July 19, 2010

Social Networking

I am not a very popular figure on the internet. As I searched through the Google and Pipl sites I did not find many links about myself. On Google I found pretty much nothing; even the listings for Facebook where not for me, but other Becky’s out there in the world. Most of the information about me out there on the internet was found on the Pipl site. On Pipl, my Facebook profile was listed and most of the other listings were just phone book type information. They listed my name, address, phone number, and family members. I have not yet left a very big trail for others to follow. The only other site that I found that actually referenced me was an article from The Outlook that listed the Oregon State University Graduates for the year and the GPA rankings. (http://www.theoutlookonline.com/features/story.php?story_id=127811080161629400)

I have always been very cautious about what I post on my Facebook because of my younger niece and nephew. Due to this, I did not need to go to my site or any other site to change anything. Before I post anything on my profile, I first consider whether or not the material is appropriate for a seven-year-old and secondly, if it can damage my image in any way. If things show up on my page that I think are inappropriate I delete them immediately and even warn friends not to tag me in pictures. If I want a picture on my site that I did not put there myself I will find it and add a tag. I believe it is very important for me to be aware of how I project myself because I do not wish to hurt my opportunities for acquiring a job in any way. I have dedicated so much of my life to the pursuit of becoming a teacher and due to this I have made many choices to protect myself from receiving any allegations of misconduct. I believe that if I keep being picky about what I put on my the internet and who I allow to view my information, I will be able to protect myself very well. As I enter into the teaching profession I am also aware that I will build a boundary between my life in the classroom and my social life outside of the school. I feel that students do not need to be spectators to my personal life.

The article “Have You Googled Your Teacher Lately? Teachers Use of Social Networking Sites” draws attention to how important it is to be aware of how the internet can hurt your credibility as a person and as a professional. The most interesting fact that caught my attention was “An online social networking profile can cause problems even before a teacher enters the profession. Stacy Snyder, a teacher candidate in secondary English education at Millersville (Pennsylvania) University, was denied her teaching certificate and given an English degree rather than an education degree after campus administrators discovered photos on her MySpace profile in which she portrayed herself as a “drunken pirate” (683). This story signifies the importance of being cautious about how you are portrayed at every moment because one little thing from your past can destroy your future. Reading these words hits home and makes me grateful that I have been careful about my profile from the beginning. I would be devastated if one picture ended up ruining my chance of becoming a teacher.

Even if we don’t like to admit it, teachers must live up to higher expectations. Every person deserves to have a personal life, but this can become difficult in the realm of education because a teacher’s role is to be someone to look up to and to be trusted with the lives of children. This position demands a person to act in a moral manner. Due to this, teachers must reflect upon every decision and action they make and understand the consequences if they do something that can be interpreted as compromising. As teachers we are living in a “fishbowl.” Our lives are visible to all and if we act inappropriately we will be reprimanded by society. It might not be right for teachers to be held to such high standards, but it necessary so that the children of future generations have at least one role model to look up to.

3 comments:

  1. Do you think that the Becky Knoke reunion is being held in the Howard Johnnson ballroom as we speak? I would elect you to be the keynote speaker.

    Students don't stop learning when they leave the classroom, so it stands to reason that the ways in which we impact students doesn't cease when we exit the classroom. I think that you and I are on the same page: regardless of how we personally feel about the fact that actions outside the school can impact employment status, we still act within the domain of responsible behavior. I would postulate that great teachers recognize the gravity of ALL decisions they make, not just the decisions they make on school grounds during school hours. And you, my friend, are going to be a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do live life in a fishbowl, whether we want to or not! It is something that a lot of teachers may struggle with, but it seems that you have already gained an understanding of this and worked towards making things less visible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that we as teachers need to be careful about what we put into a social forum. I also go through and delete tags on Facebook pictures and get mad when people post inappropriate stuff on my page. As a non-teacher now I let more stuff slide then I will when I am teacher.

    And what you said about weighing every decision we make carefully, is spot on. Yes teachers may be unfairly help to higher morale standards, but it isn't like we are unaware of them. I am glad and not even remotely surprised you analyze ever decision you make, and hope that you continue that in your future.

    ReplyDelete