Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Digital Native or Digital Immigrant?

I find myself in an interesting position as I ponder the question of whether I’m a digital native or a digital immigrant. My young age places me as a member of the technological era as I’ve grown up with all the newest technology around me, but I have always shied away from these innovative inventions and lived in the world of the past. Due to this I would have to call myself a digital immigrant. As all of my friends were excited about their new computers, video games, iPods, mp3 players, and all those other high-tech gadgets, I was immersed in books. For some reason I never wanted to understand or use the technology around me. Maybe it was partially out of fear of the unknown, but I have never had the desire to join in with the new trends except for the cell phone. As I read through Prensky’s arguments I was struck by the words “…needing to print out a document written on the computer in order to edit it…” (2) I broke into laughter at this point because I had printed out his articles from the computer because the hard copy form was more to my personal preference. It became so clear to me that my mental barrier towards technology was getting in the way and it is something I need to adapt before I enter into the classroom.

In high school technology never played a major role in any of the classrooms I experienced except for the basic PowerPoint presentation or the occasional DVD. I attended a private high school that was on an extremely low budget and due to this technology was not a big concern. The school was more concerned with making sure the facility was up to date and that classrooms had the equipment they needed to have to get by. Once I entered college I had the opportunity to experience more types of technology such as the smart board and the document camera. Almost every classroom also had a projector and a screen. As I look back on the use of these materials, I realize that they played a major role in making instruction more enjoyable. Having the ability to look at visual aids that supported lecture material made the subject content more pronounced and made a larger impression on me.

After reading these articles I’ve begun to realize the importance of changing my ways. Even though technology is not something that I am really interested in, I know it’s necessary to acquire the skills to use it so that I have the weapons I need to combat student inattentiveness. Students of this generation are programmed to function on technology and due to this it is essential that I incorporate the use of technology into every aspect of my instruction: “Today’s teachers have to learn to communicate in the language and style of their students” (Prensky, 4). I no longer have the choice of sitting on the sidelines when it comes to technology, I must move forward to be able to relate to my students.

There are so many ways to use technology in the subject area of Language Arts. Languages Arts is a hands on subject that revolves around interaction as students dive into the realms of reading, writing, speaking, and literature. Lectures never need to become boring because by just adding a PowerPoint presentation or a movie clip the experience can be made more entertaining. Every aspect of Language Arts can be supplemented by a form of technology. For example, when dealing with literature, students have the chance to view visual clips of famous works through movies and media clips. Also for audio learners, these works can be recorded and used as books on tape. Some genres of literature can also be made into games. Giving students a chance to create a computer game that follows the plot of a story would provide an experience for technology to thrive within the classroom. These are just a few examples of the unlimited possibilities. As long as I’m open to the idea of allowing technology to infiltrate my classroom, my students will become involved and their creativity will flourish as they are allowed to apply the world of books to their technological age. By adapting my ways of instruction I am enabling my students to mold Language Arts into a subject they can comprehend and relate to: “The cognitive differences of the Digital Natives cry out for new approaches to education with a better “fit”” (Prensky, 5). I must change so that my students can “fit” into the realm of education and succeed within it.

1 comment:

  1. One way that I have used technology in my Language Arts class is by using the movie of a book to compare and contrast what is in the movie compared to the book. The promise of being able to watch a movie in class really motivated the kids to want to read the book first. We were able to pause the movie in some places and talk about what was going on at that point compared to the book. This was a great motivator for my kids.

    ReplyDelete